You may be wondering how to start a blog. Whether you are a single person who wants to do it for fun or run a business with multiple locations, learning how to start a blog doesn’t take a lot. This guide will walk you through starting a blog and what details go into the process. There are many resources out there to start a blog, but we want to help you with more than just starting a blog. Maintaining and optimizing your blog is also critical for its success.
Step 1: Choose a Blog Topic
The first thing you need to know before starting is the topic or niche your blog will cover. If the blog is for your business, then the content will be obvious; it should be about your business. In general, businesses should cover topics about their business from different angles. Tell readers about a new product or let them know about an upcoming event. You can also detail a proprietary product or method that makes your business stand out from competitors. The list is endless when it comes to a blog about your business. Use some of the ideas below to get started:
- write a spotlight bio about an employee in the business and their position
- answer frequently asked questions
- detail a new product/service
- announce a new location to your customers
- list and explain the benefits of a product/service
This list should help you start developing informative and interesting content that your customers or clients want to read.
For individuals, the decision process is a bit more difficult. There are all kinds of blogs out there, big and small, that focus on every subject you can imagine. It is your job to find a specific niche to get your foot in the door. List your interests, hobbies, and other aspects of your life. You may be in a unique position to give people advice, or maybe there is a hobby you enjoy that has a bit of a twist. These unique angles will help give your blog an edge over the rest.
Step 2: Select a Blog Platform
You are one step closer to knowing how to start a blog! Now that you have your blog topic nailed down, you can begin seeking a platform to support it. Businesses with pre-existing websites should find a built-in blog page. Website platforms like WordPress and Magento start with these pages, so all it takes is adding posts. If you are a business owner and want to start a blog, ASAP Marketing can assist you. We can set up your blog and develop informative content every month. Content marketing is extremely beneficial, and a blog is just one method available.
Individuals starting their blogs have numerous options:
Some of these platforms host your blog without having to build a complete website. Tumbler, Blogger, and WordPress are good examples. However, you’ll never truly own your own blog with these platforms. Not unless you connect your own domain and hosting (see step three). If you are building a website from the ground up, then WordPress is the best option.
ASAP Marketing recommends WordPress for businesses and individuals. It is really user-friendly, and even if you don’t have experience making a website, you should get the hang of it in no time. Plus, WordPress makes up one-third of all websites on the internet. So, it’s safe to say WordPress is a good option.
Step 3: Get Technical
This step may seem like the most difficult part of how to start a blog, but it really is quite simple. If you start from the ground up with your blog, you’ll need a web host and domain. A web host is someone who hosts your blog on their server. A domain is your blog’s web address. These things can be purchased from the same locations if you’d prefer. Businesses with websites already can skip this step because they will already have a domain and hosting provider. If your business doesn’t have these things, then contact ASAP Marketing Solutions. Our web developers can help set these technical details up for you.
When it comes to a domain and hosting provider, you have a lot of options. We have listed a handful of popular options below:
Setting up your domain and web host is simple, and these platforms have easy guides you can access to assist. Plus, you can always call their support line for assistance. Furthermore, you’ll find that each of these hosts easily connects to WordPress, which is another reason we recommend the platform. This step is much simpler than you might think. Trust us!
Step 4: Write a Blog Post
Once your hosting and domain are live, you can begin writing your first blog post. You may have already started, and that is great! There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to writing your blog.
- Length: The length of your blog can vary greatly. From 300 words to 2,000, the length is really up to you. If you are worried about optimization and search engine ranking, longer blogs tend to do better. We recommend at least 500 words if you are interested in optimizing your content.
- Visual Content: Opening up a blog with a solid block of text is not only daunting to read but difficult to read. It is important to break up your text with images, videos, infographics, original art, and anything relevant. Don’t go overboard! Two or three pictures in a 1,000-word blog are perfect.
- Featured Imaged: A featured image is what people see before they even click on your blog. The featured image is usually found paired with the title and needs to catch the reader’s attention. Ensure your image is the right size, good quality, and is relevant to the content.
- Keywords: For those of you optimizing your content, perform keyword research to determine what people are searching for in the subject you are writing about. Drop these keywords into alt tags, captions, meta descriptions, titles, subheadings, and throughout the content. It will help increase the ranking of the blog and pick up more traffic.
Considering each of the attributes above will help keep your blog consistent and engaging to the reader. You can also drive traffic to your blog with the features we listed.
Now You Know How to Start a Blog
Once you’ve written your first blog, you can start sharing it on social media! Let your friends and family read what you’ve worked so hard on. Now that you know how to start a blog, you need to maintain it. Continue to add content regularly so your readers having a reason to return.
Businesses should also share their blogs through their appropriate channels. Email marketing is really effective when it is paired with a blog. If you have questions regarding your business’s blog, then please contact ASAP Marketing Solutions. We have the experience and knowledge to run an informative and optimized blog. Reach out to our team today!